S. Korea adds 114 virus cases, warns on Seoul cluster

first_imgSouth Korea reported fewer than 120 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, but authorities warned that a new cluster in Seoul could see the infection spread in the capital.Around 100 people linked to a call centre in the city have tested positive for the virus in recent days. “This could lead to a ‘super spread’ in the metropolitan area, where half of the entire population are concentrated,” Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun told a meeting on Thursday. So far, nearly 90 percent of South Korea’s cases have been in the southern city of Daegu and the neighbouring North Gyeongsang province.The South was the first country to report significant coronavirus numbers outside China, where the disease first emerged, and remains one of the world’s worst-affected countries despite being overtaken by both Italy and Iran in declared cases.A total of 114 infections were confirmed Wednesday, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said, taking the South’s total to 7,869.Six more people died, it added, with the toll rising to 66.Each morning the South announces how many cases were diagnosed the previous day, and Wednesday’s figure is well below the 500-600 increases the country was confirming in early March.More than 60 percent of the country’s infections are linked to the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, a religious sect often condemned as a cult, one of whose members attended at least four services in Daegu before being diagnosed.Scores of events — from K-pop concerts to sports matches — have been cancelled or postponed over the contagion, with school and kindergarten breaks extended by three weeks nationwide.Topics :last_img read more

Pennsylvania Commission on Latino Affairs Statement on Orlando Shooting

first_img June 15, 2016 Pennsylvania Commission on Latino Affairs Statement on Orlando Shooting SHARE Email Facebook Twittercenter_img Latino Affairs,  Orlando,  Statement Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Commission on Latino Affairs released the following statement on the shooting in Orlando:“At this time, the Pennsylvania Governor’s Advisory Commission on Latino Affairs would like to extend our sympathy and united support to the victims of the Orlando massacre and the Latino LGBT community. We stand in solidarity with our brothers and sisters of all faiths and sexual preferences as they are our close family members and friends. It is heartbreaking to know that these individuals were specifically targeted because they are gay Latinos, we cannot allow for that to be forgotten.“GACLA is committed to equal rights for all Latinos in the state of Pennsylvania as well as for the whole United States. During a time where discrimination is very present in our society against the Latino population, we will stand united and call on each one of us, as citizens, to spread the message of peace for all.“Again, our condolences go out to the families of those whose lives were senselessly taken away and pray for their strength as they must continue life without their loved ones.“If you would like to find out how you can help closer to home, please reach out Adriana Rivera, who also serves as a board member of the state’s largest queer Latino organization, GALAEI.”Like Governor Tom Wolf on Facebook: Facebook.com/GovernorWolflast_img read more

Robredo hits Marcos: ‘I’m not the robber’

first_img Robredo’s response was after Marcos said in an interview that he was “frustrated” by the Sumpreme Court’s (SC) verdict and that he feels robbed by Robredo. MANILA – Vice President Leni Robredoslammed former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. who said he was “robbed” ofhis supposed six-year-term as vice president. “Parang dapat hindi niya kaya yun sabihin. Between the two of us, hindi ako yung robber,” she added. “Yung resulta galing sa Comelec (Commission on Elecetions), prino-claim tayo ng Kongreso panalo tayo. Nagkaroon ng recount, panalo ulit tayo. Ilang panalo pa ang kailangan para maniwala siya hindi siya yung nanalo?” Robredo said./PN “By conducting the cheating in the election, they robbed the proper Vice President who won the election – myself – from the 3 years of service. Yes, I do,” Marcos was quoted as saying. Instead of ruling whether to dismiss Marcos’ electoral protest, the SC sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, have ordered the release of the report on the initial recount of votes on Tuesday.center_img Robredo shot down the losing vice presidential candidate, saying it was not her that has the “habit of robbing.” Vice President Leni Robredo. ABS-CBN NEWS The high court also ordered Marcos and Robredo to submit their memoranda “on the various issues relating to the jurisdiction and other matters” on the former senator’s third cause of action, which seeks the annulment of election results in the provinces of Lanao del Sur, Basilan and Maguindanao. “Parang nakakatawa naman na siya nagsasabi nun. Hindi ata ako yung may ugaling mag-rob. Lahat ng na-achieve ko pinagpaguran ko, wala akong fake diplomas. Hindi ako naglalabas ng fake news,” Robredo said in a press conference after the Supreme Court deferred anew on ruling on Marcos’ poll protest. last_img read more

Chelsea vs Barnsley: Lampard set to hand Chilwell, Silva debuts

first_img Read Also: COVID-19: Premier League manager, two players test positive Lampard is also expected to hand chances to a number of other players who have fallen down the pecking order at Chelsea since the glut of summer arrivals. Tammy Abraham will be keen to impress, as will Callum Hudson-Odoi. Possible Chelsea XI (4-3-3): Caballero; Azpilicueta, Tomori, Rudiger, Chilwell; Jorginho, Barkley, Loftus-Cheek; Hudson-Odoi, Mount, Abraham FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 The duo returned to training at Cobham last week and are now ready to be involved in Lampard’s plans going forward. Barnsley’s visit to Stamford Bridge will come too soon for fellow new arrival Hakim Ziyech, though the Moroccan and Christian Pulisic are making progress with their own respective recoveries. Loading… “He is in the squad tomorrow,” Lampard said of Silva, who turned 36 on Tuesday. “Chilwell is in the squad tomorrow and Christian and Hakim Ziyech are getting closer as well.”center_img Promoted ContentWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Fantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread Art5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Body5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits EarthA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayPortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D GraffitiFrom Enemies To Friends: 10 TV Characters Who Became CloseBest Car Manufacturers In The World7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your Phone Frank Lampard could hand debuts to two of his summer signings in tonight’s Carabao Cup third-round tie against Barnsley, with Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell fit and ready to feature. Both defenders have missed the start of the new season having suffered injuries before making the move to west London.last_img read more

President promises changes in Iraq

first_imgIt was the first time a member of Bush’s war Cabinet had publicly suggested such deep cuts, perhaps offering a conciliatory hand to anti-war Democrats and some wary Republicans in Congress who have been pushing for troop reductions, a change in the U.S. mission and an end to the war. Still, the administration insists that decisions about cutting U.S. troops will be guided by conditions in Iraq, not political reasons or pressure from Capitol Hill. “If we were to be driven out of Iraq, extremists of all strains would be emboldened,” Bush said. “Al-Qaida could find new recruits and new sanctuaries. And a failed Iraq could increase the likelihood that our forces would someday have to return – and confront extremists even more entrenched and even more deadly. “By contrast, a free Iraq will deny al-Qaida a safe haven. It will counter the destructive ambitions of Iran. And it will serve as a partner in the fight against terrorism.” Rep. Tom Lantos, D-Calif., chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said Bush’s war strategy had failed so far, and a new direction is needed. “We and the American people already know that the situation in Iraq is grim, and the growing majority of this Congress and of the American people want our troops out,” Lantos said in the Democrats’ radio response. “Strategically, the escalation has failed.” Lantos argued that the military buildup the president ordered in January was intended to buy time for Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and other political leaders to find a way to resolve their differences and end civil strife. But political reconciliation has only inched forward since January. “We can expect the administration to continue asking for more money, more patience and more sacrifices from our troops – all in the belief that our continued intervention in Iraq will eventually bear fruit,” Lantos said. “But this approach is not a strategy, and Americans’ patience with this war has run out.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! In December, the United States will begin a new military phase in Iraq – one in which “our troops will shift over time from leading operations to partnering with Iraqi forces, and eventually to overwatching those forces,” Bush said in his weekly radio address. Bush was following recommendations of Gen. David Petraeus. On Thursday, Bush announced he had approved Petraeus’ plan to withdraw 5,700 troops from Iraq by the holidays and reduce the force from 20 combat brigades to 15 brigades by July 2008. On Friday, Defense Secretary Robert Gates raised the possibility of cutting U.S. troops in Iraq to 100,000 by the end of next year. Gates confirmed that he was referring to cutting from the projected level of 15 combat brigades in July to 10 brigades at the end of 2008, and that this would translate to roughly 100,000 troops. STRATEGY: Bush says as Iraqis take over, the U.S. role there will shift. By Deb Riechmann THE ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON – While “formidable challenges” remain in Iraq, President Bush said Saturday, the United States will start shifting more troops into support roles – in addition to the troop withdrawals announced last week. last_img read more

Latest: Tottenham 4 Chelsea 2 – Hazard gives Blues hope

first_imgEden Hazard’s second-half strike threw Chelsea a lifeline but their Premier League lead remained under threat from a thriller at White Hart Lane.Harry Kane, whose equaliser sparked a dramatic first-half collapse by Jose Mourinho’s side, piled more misery on the Blues by adding a fourth goal on 52 minutes.The livewire striker rolled away from Nemanja Matic and then threaded a low shot between John Terry’s legs and across goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.But on the hour mark, Hazard’s brilliance pulled it back to 4-2 and gave Chelsea hope of a stunning comeback.The Belgian won the ball on halfway, exchanged passes with Cesc Fabregas before exposing an opening in the Spurs defence to slot past the helpless Hugo Lloris.Both sides looked lively on the counter in an end-to-end second half, but barring the two goals neither keeper was stretched.Hazard had struck a fierce drive just over shortly after the break, while Spurs flashes dangerous balls across the Chelsea box but without being able to apply a touch.Diego Costa had put the Blues ahead in the 19th minute, turning in Oscar’s shot, which came after Eden Hazard had hit the post.Kane equalised on the half hour mark, holding off the challenge of Oscar and firing in a low shot beyond Courtois.Chelsea then imploded by conceding twice in the dying minutes of the first half, as Danny Rose followed up a Nacer Chadli shot that hit the post, and Andros Townsend converted a penalty. Tottenham: Lloris, Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Rose; Bentaleb, Mason (Dembele 14); Chadli, Eriksen, Townsend; Kane.Subs: Vorm, Chiriches, Davies, Dembele, Paulinho, Stambouli, Soldado. Chelsea: Courtois; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Azpilicueta; Matic, Fabregas; Willian (Salah 72), Oscar (Ramires 46), Hazard; Costa.Subs: Cech, Zouma, Mikel, Ramires, Salah, Remy, Drogba.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

LD SESSION 2 LAST

first_imgIt was the 239th session of Rajya Sabha. Congress andIt was the 239th session of Rajya Sabha. Congress and Opposition outnumber the government in the Upper House, which saw repeated adjournments on a number of days on issues like the imposition of Presidents Rule in Uttarakhand and Arunachal Pradesh and AgustWestland dealAfter the passage of Finance Bill yesterday, there was, however, virtually no business left for the government.Concluding the session early was being debated for the last few days, Parliament sources said.Sources said Rajya Sabha would also have been adjourned sine die yesterday itself but since 58 members of the House had retired, it was decided to adjourn the House after the customary farewell speech on Thursday.However, as the Congress member of Rajya Sabha Praveen Rashtrapal died in New Delhi early Thursday after suffering a massive heart attack, the Upper House was adjourned today after paying respects to the departed soul, immedeately after the House convened. Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari announced the news of the demise of Rashtrapal and adjourned the House for the day as a mark of respect. PTI RNK AMR GSNlast_img read more

Alice Springs Masters Games

first_imgThe Alice Springs Masters Games will be held from Saturday, 11 October to Saturday, 18 October 2014, with Touch Football one of the 33 sports on offer. Men’s, Women’s and Mixed divisions will be offered at the event, with Alice Springs boasting excellent Touch Football facilities and great competition. There will also be plenty of social events with a jam-packed entertainment program featuring the Opening and Closing Ceremony with some fantastic Australian entertainers. The Alice Springs Masters Games was the first Games of its kind in Australia, with the inaugural event held in 1986. Held every two years, the Games offer athletes 25 years and older the chance to experience Australian sports in the red heartland. For more information about the Alice Springs Masters Games, please visit the event website – www.alicespringsmastersgames.com.au. Related LinksAlice Springs Masterslast_img read more

Video: Duke Unveils 2015 National Championship Banner At Banquet

first_imgDuke basketball's 2015 national championship banner.duke 2015 national championship bannerThursday night, Duke basketball held its annual banquet – an event where the season prior is celebrated and captains for the next season are named. But 2015 was obviously a more special year than usual – the Blue Devils took home their fifth national championship after defeating Wisconsin in the NCAA title game earlier this month. As such, there was a great deal to commemorate.Most notably, the school unveiled its 2015 national championship banner – appropriately while Queen’s “We Are The Champions” was playing in the background.The school has also released a number of other bits of media from the event – including some cool photos of the players posing in their tuxedos.If you’re wondering, Duke named Marshall Plumlee, Amile Jefferson and Matt Jones as tri-captains for the 2015-2016 season.last_img read more