St Pauli part company with player who voiced support of Turkey’s invasion

first_imgSt Pauli Soccer Share via Email news It led to calls from St Pauli fans for the player to be sacked, and messages of support for the Kurds. The Hamburg-based club said an internal review had been conducted as well as talks between club officials and the player.“After numerous discussions with fans, members and friends whose roots lie in Turkey, it has become clear to us that we cannot and should not attempt to gauge nuances in perceptions and attitudes from other cultural backgrounds in detail,” St Pauli said. “That we reject acts of war is not open to doubt or discussion, however. These acts, and the expression of solidarity with them, run counter to the values of the club.”Sahin’s contract will remain valid but St Pauli has given him permission to train and play for other clubs. Sahin, who joined from Istanbul Basaksehir in 2016, is reportedly back in Turkey. Any switch could not be completed until the winter transfer window. FC St Pauli: how it became the football team of punk and techno Share on Messenger Reuse this content Share on Facebook Topics Share on LinkedIn Read more Share on Pinterest European club football Share on WhatsApp The Turkish midfielder Cenk Sahin has been released by St Pauli following an Instagram post in support of his country’s invasion of Kurdish-held regions in northern Syria.The German club said on Monday: “Sahin has been released from his training and playing duties with immediate effect. The prime factors in reaching the decisions were his repeated disregard for the club’s values and the need to protect the player.”Sahin on Friday posted on Instagram: “We’re on the side of our heroic military and armies. Our prayers are with you!” Share on Twitterlast_img read more