SeaWorld to begin construction on new roller coaster

first_imgSeaWorld to begin construction on new roller coaster August 16, 2019 KUSI Newsroom KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: August 16, 2019 SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – SeaWorld San Diego announced the beginning of construction today of its new “dive” roller coaster, advertised as the tallest, fastest and longest such coaster in the state.The theme park began preparing the coaster’s future site for the installation of its foundation and utilities Friday, which is also National Roller Coaster Day. SeaWorld first announced plans to build the ride in Januaryin an area adjacent to the Journey to Atlantis attraction that has previously been a parking lot.The coaster will climb 153 feet before plunging back down 143 feet while reaching speeds of more than 60 mph, according to SeaWorld officials. The ride will include nearly 2,500 feet of track and “floorless” cars that willhold 18 riders in three six-person rows.The park originally announced that the ride would be named “Mako” after the endangered shark species, which is considered the fastest shark in the world. However, that name is still up in the air and park officials areconsidering several options.The ride will also feature elements of aquatic animal conservation. SeaWorld plans to partner with a conservation group for the ride’s conservation efforts, but that partnership also remains to be determined.The ride is being built by Swiss roller coaster manufacturer Bolliger and Mabillard. The company has built four other roller coasters for SeaWorld since 1997, one in San Antonio and the other three at SeaWorld Orlando.The new ride is scheduled to open next summer. last_img read more

Startup Plans to Sell Mobile Phone Packed With Tech for Around 20000

first_imgApril 25, 2016 Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals 2 min read A British-Israeli startup plans to sell a mobile phone from next month that will offer users unprecedented levels of technology and security — and retail for close to $20,000.Sirin Labs AG said on Monday it had raised $72 million in private funds to launch the device, which would be aimed at executives. It plans to open its first store, in London’s Mayfair, in May.”(Our) smartphone … brings the most advanced technology available — even if it is not commercially available — and combining it with almost military-grade security,” said Sirin co-founder and president Moshe Hogeg.The phone will be based on the Android operating system and run otherwise unspecified technology two to three years in advance of the mass market, he said.Hogeg told Reuters the phone would sell for less than $20,000.He believes thousands of executives in the United States and Europe will pay that sort of price, since the cost of being hacked could be more expensive in terms of information lost.Hogeg put the value of the global luxury phone market at about $1.1 billion, a fraction of total mobile phone sales. Most top end phones sold are more for status — regular phones with gold and diamonds.Britain’s Vertu sells phones in that category from $10,000 to $300,000, while Apple’s iPhone 5 Black Diamond sold for $15.3 million.Sirin’s financing came from Israeli venture capital fund Singulariteam — which Hogeg co-founded and included backing from Kazakh investor Kenges Rakishev — and Chinese social networking company Renren.The idea for the startup came about after Rakishev’s phone was hacked in 2013. He asked Hogeg why he couldn’t find a mobile phone that would ensure privacy and why new technology seen in tech shows and publications was not available in consumer devices.”There were no good solutions that combined high-end technologies with maximum security,” Hogeg said.(By Steven Scheer; Editing by John Stonestreet) This story originally appeared on Reuters Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. Register Now »last_img read more