Cisse pleased to be back

first_img Cisse told the club’s official website, www.nufc.co.uk: “It has been a very difficult time for me and the club, and also for the fans. “I have had some useful discussions with my club, my family and Islamic teachers in the last few weeks. “After a huge amount of thought and reflection, I have made the decision to follow my team-mates and wear the kit. “Now I think it is important for the team and the fans that we concentrate 100 per cent on football. “Although I did not go to Portugal on the training camp, I was back here working hard on my fitness and preparing for the start of the new season. “Since then, it has been great to be training with my team-mates again. I feel great and ready to go, and cannot wait to be out there against St Mirren on Tuesday and to play my part for the team.” Papiss Cisse has admitted his delight at being able to concentrate on football once again after his exile from the Newcastle squad came to an end. Press Associationcenter_img The 28-year-old Senegal international will return to action in Tuesday night’s friendly at St Mirren having resolved his differences with the club over shirt sponsors Wonga. Cisse, who is a Muslim, did not travel to the Magpies’ training camp in Portugal after refusing to wear the Wonga shirt or training kit because of his religious beliefs. last_img read more

New Voice, Same Talent for Holmdel Theatre Company

first_imgBy Mary Ann Bourbeau |HOLMDEL – Kathy Connolly wants to take the Holmdel Theatre Company to the next level. And two months into her new position as artistic director, she is well on her way.“I want to build it up to a professional level and I think in the long term, it’s totally doable,” she said.Since she took over for former artistic director Laurie Devino, Connolly has already increased the number of shows to four this season, kicking off with “You Can’t Take It With You,” which runs from Oct. 26 to Nov. 11. It’s the story of a woman from a good-natured but eccentric family who becomes engaged to a man whose relatives are decidedly stuffy. Comedy ensues when the two families meet for the first time. The show, written by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman, has a cast of 15 and will be directed by Connolly’s husband, Jake Oliver.“I wanted to do a classic play, something funny, with a big cast and a big set to start off the season,” Connolly said. “Jake is a great director and he’s good with comedy.”The season continues with the play “Art” from Dec. 7 to 16; “Life is a Dream” from March 29 to April 14; and the musical “Next to Normal” from July 19 to Aug. 4.“I’m so excited to do a musical and especially this musical,” she said. “I performed several musicals in barns when I did summer stock as an actor. I love barn theaters.”The theater hosted a 30th Season Cabaret Gala Oct. 1, featuring Broadway’s Jenn Gambatese (“School of Rock,” “Tarzan”), Gaelen Gilliland (“SpongeBob Squarepants,” “Kinky Boots”) and Rema Webb (“Escape to Margaritaville,” “Violet”). The inaugural event was a fundraiser for the theater.“These Broadway singers all thought the acoustics were perfect,” Connolly said.Holmdel Theatre Company presents its shows at the Duncan Smith Theater, at 36 Crawfords Corner Road in Holmdel.Plans for Holmdel Theatre include more interaction with students from the middle and high school, including a youth theater that will kick off with a staged reading in the spring.“It’s important for professionals to work with students, both on stage and backstage,” she said. “That’s been part of our mission statement since the theater was founded.”“I was fortunate enough to work with professionals on stage and as a student, and it’s very important to me to carry on this tradition at Holmdel Theatre Company,” she said.Originally from Pittsburgh, Connolly began performing theater at age 9. She attended Point Park University, NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts and New York University, where she studied in the Stella Adler and CAP21 conservatories.After college, Connolly worked as an actor and director in both regional and national tours. After moving to Middletown, she began directing musicals and teaching acting at area schools and the Middletown Arts Center. She also works as a teaching artist at the Two River Theater in Red Bank.After serving five years as artistic director, Devino felt the theater needed someone who could devote more time to it.“I work full time and Holmdel Theatre deserves more attention than I could give with my schedule,” she said. “Kathy is a perfect fit. She will definitely bring much needed new life to the theater.”Devino will still be involved; in fact, she has a lead role in “You Can’t Take It With You.”“It’s nice to be able to act again,” she said. “I didn’t have time with all my other activities. This is a fun ensemble piece that really holds up. It’s a happy little escape.”Connolly is looking forward to seeing what the future holds at Holmdel Theatre Company.“The first time I walked into the theater, I automatically fell in love with it,” she said. “It’s such a special place with a special history and I feel very lucky to be given this opportunity. It feels like home already.”Tickets for “You Can’t Take It With You” are $15 to $25. For more information, visit holmdeltheatrecompany.org.Arts and entertainment writer Mary Ann Bourbeau can be reached at [email protected] article was first published in the Oct. 11-18, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.last_img read more

Woman is sought in bank robbery

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week – Daily News PALMDALE – The FBI is investigating a robbery committed by a woman at a Palmdale Boulevard bank branch. The woman walked up to a teller at the Antelope Valley Bank branch in the 1600 block of East Palmdale Boulevard about 3:40 p.m. Thursday and handed over a note demanding money, sheriff’s deputies said. The robber was given an undisclosed amount of cash and walked out of the bank into its parking lot, deputies said. The woman was described as about 5 feet 5 inches tall and 120 pounds, with dark shoulder-length hair, wearing a long dark coat, deputies said. She was described as being possibly of Latino or Middle Eastern descent. last_img read more

Ind vs Eng, Bristol ODI: Toss delayed due to rain

first_imgDhoni-CookTheir morale battered by the Test series debacle, India would look to make a fresh beginning and salvage lost pride when they take on England in a fivematch ODI cricket series starting in Bristol on Monday.However, they’ll need to keep their eyes on the sky and pray hard for the match to go ahead as there is a 100 per cent chance of rain in Bristol.On one hand, the Indians will be distracted by the 1-3 series loss in the Test series and will want to do well in the ODIs, while on the other, they will also need to balance their approach keeping next year’s World Cup in mind.That tournament, to be hosted by Australia and New Zealand, is just six months away. From here on, every ODI played by the Indian team will be a preparatory step towards defending their 2011 crown Down Under.And to do so, they will be evaluating players in the three ODI series between now and the World Cup – in England, at home against the West Indies and then in the tri-series on the Australian tour.Already, the Indian selectors have taken stock of the situation at hand and the 17-man squad is a reflection of their thoughts. Sanju Samson and Karn Sharma represent their line of thinking in that the squad will need an additional wicket-keeper as well as a third spin-bowling all-round option.But there is a question-mark over how many opportunities these two youngsters will get in the current five-match series. This is because the middle-order and all-round spin slots have enough contenders at the moment.advertisementRavindra Jadeja and R. Ashwin will fill up the two spin options in the playing XI. Earlier this year, in the fourth ODI at Hamilton, Stuart Binny was introduced as an alternate and his exploits in Bangladesh he will be a factor in conditions that assist swing.However India skipper M.S. Dhoni is a little circumspect about using four medium pace options as it slows down the over-rate. It will be interesting to see if he will opt for two spinners straight-away, irrespective of the conditions in Bristol, given that Binny didn’t bowl in the warm-up game against Middlesex on Friday.On that day, Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Mohammad Shami bowled short spells and it was a clear sign that the management was looking to preserve them. ‘TEST OF CHARACTER’ Meanwhile, senior batsman Suresh Raina feels these ODIs will be a test of the Indians’ character.Claiming to have done his bit to infuse some positivity into the beleaguered team, Raina said: “The team is going through a difficult phase and it is time for us to show character. It can be difficult sometimes to move on from such a defeat but you have to fight your way out of it when you’re playing at the international level.”I always try to maintain the cheerfulness in the team, on and off the field. I am the first person to run to the bowler or fielder when a wicket falls,” he told the official BCCI website.last_img read more

Two Indigenous protesters ordered to end protest at fish company

first_imgVANCOUVER – Fish farming company Marine Harvest says the B-C Supreme Court has ordered two Indigenous protesters, who have occupied the company’s houses and dock at Swanson Island for months, to leave by Saturday evening pending an upcoming hearing.Marine Harvest says the court also ordered them not to board or interfere with any of Marine Harvest’s salmon farms operating in the area.It says the order is pending a June 25 hearing of an application by Marine Harvest for a broader injunction order.Court documents filed by Ernest Alfred and Karissa Glendale, who are named as defendants, say they and many others from the ‘Namgis First Nation and surrounding First Nations are opposed to open-net fish farms in ocean waters in their traditional territories.They say they are legitimately concerned about the impacts the farms have on local fish and sea life.They say that as local Indigenous people in an area subject to ongoing Aboriginal title litigation, they have the right and responsibility to peacefully witness and observe fish farms and that an injunction sought by the company limiting them from within 20 metres of its fish farms is “overbroad.”Alfred called the injunction a “small setback” for the occupation, which has been ongoing for 268 days, and said he would respect the law.“I believe that fish farms will be a stain on our people’s history, and that when we look back at this time, we will celebrate our efforts and we will remind our children and our grandchildren about the time we just about lost our salmon,” Alfred said in an interview.“I firmly believe that the moment we remove these pens, we relieve the salmon of one their biggest threats.”Marine Harvest was previously granted an injunction against protesters who were occupying its Midsummer Island salmon farm in December 2017.Court records say the conditions of adjournment in the current case would be “similar” to those ordered in December 2017.It says if persons re-occupy any of the sites in the undertaking, the company may reset an application in relation to that activity on 48 hours’ notice.In a statement, Marine Harvest spokesman Jeremy Dunn says the occupiers are interfering with the company’s “legitimate activities.”“Meaningful dialogue with First Nations in the Broughton Archipelago, where we have been operating salmon farms for 30 years, remains a priority for Marine Harvest. Unfortunately, our efforts to date have not been successful, but we remain hopeful,” Dunn said in a statement.last_img read more

BJP accuses AAP of violating MCC

first_imgNew Delhi: With the first phase of polling already having ended, and polling in Delhi to be held on May 12, Delhi BJP General Secretary Rajesh Bhatia has come up with fresh allegations against the Aam Aadmi Party for violating the Model Code of Conduct, thus lodging a written complaint with the Chief Electoral Officer of the Capital.The senior party leader said that he found big hoardings with photographs of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Health Minister Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderSatyendar Jain on a mohalla clinic in Sarita Vihar. “This is a clear violation of the Code of Conduct. On the 8th April, a complaint was made through cVIGIL App to the Election Commission but no action was taken on the complaint and thereafter a complaint letter was sent to the Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi,” he said. Further making accusations against one of the major opposition parties in Delhi, Bhatia said that AAP has continuously violated terms of the MCC by using government buildings, buses, and schools for publicising their political campaign. “Kejriwal is misusing government buildings for his party’s political gains,” he said, demanding stern action from the Chief Electoral Commissioner on the issue.last_img read more

4472 polling recorded in Jharkhand

first_imgRanchi: Jharkhand on Sunday recorded 44.72 per cent polling till 1 p.m. for four of the 14 Lok Sabha constituencies in the state. Giridih recorded 45.55 per cent voter turnout, Dhanbad 40.92, Jamshedpur 47.34 and Singhbhum or Chaibasa 46.35 per cent. Voting began at 7 a.m. and will end at 4 p.m. Nearly 67 lakh voters are eligible to vote during the day. More than 200 companies of security forces have been deployed at 8,300 polling booths. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkJharkahnd Mukti Morcha (JMM) President Shibu Soren voted in Bokaro. Chief Minister Raghubar Das voted along with his family members at Jamshedpur. In this third phase of polling in Jharkhand, there are 67 candidates. The battle in Giridih is between All Jharkhand Students Union (AJSU) nominee and state Water Resources Minister Chandraprakash Chowdhary and Jagannath Mahto of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM). In Dhanbad, P.N. Singh of the BJP is taking on Kirti Azad, the BJP-rebel nominated by the Congress. In the steel city of Jamshedpur, the contest is between Vidyut Baran Mahto of the BJP and Champai Soren of the JMM. In Singhbhum, Laxman Giluwa of the BJP is pitted against Geeta Koda of the Congress.last_img read more

Jermain Defoe remembers his Sunderland past

first_imgThe English striker is enjoying his time at AFC Bournemouth, but he spent two years with the now-in-League-One teamEnglish striker Jermain Defoe is 36 years old and he has spent his time in many different teams in the English football leagues.He has played with West Ham United, Tottenham Hotspur, and he spent two years with Sunderland.There, he scored 34 goals in 87 official matches between 2015 and 2017.“I cried on the pitch when that goal went in,” he was quoted by The Chronicle.AFC Bournemouth v Manchester City - Premier LeagueMatch Preview: Bournemouth vs Manchester City Boro Tanchev – August 24, 2019 English champions Manchester City travel to Bournemouth for their encounter of the third Premier League Matchday.“I had to cover my face when I walked down the tunnel because of it.”“Sunderland was special for me. Football means so much to the fans up there and that game, I just knew I had to make a difference,” he added.“As soon as the ball left my foot, I knew it was in, but I think the tears were because of the relief of scoring such an important goal for the club.”“[Alan] Shearer’s got 260 hasn’t he?” Defoe asked about the goals he’s scored in the English Premier League.“[Wayne] Rooney’s got two… something [208]. Andy Cole’s got 186 [actually 187]. You’ve got [Frank] Lampard 177. Thierry [Henry] 175. Robbie [Fowler] 163. JD [Defoe] 162. [Sergio] Aguero will be up there – he’s got 149 now [actually 148]. I saw the list the other day, even when I see my name there it’s strange.”last_img read more

Messi might be available Valverde

first_imgThe Barcelona coach believes the Argentinean superstar could play tomorrow against Italian Lega Serie A club Internazionale MilanBarcelona star Lionel Messi broke a bone in his arm in the October 20th win over Sevilla.And after ten days, he returned to train, although he doesn’t have the full medical permission to play.He and the Blaugrana traveled to Milano for tomorrow’s match against Internazionale Milan, as part of the UEFA Champions League season.Romelu Lukaku, Serie A, Inter MilanCapello calls Lukaku “a modern striker” Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 The former Italian manager believes Romelu Lukaku is perfectly suited for Antonio Conte’s Internazionale Milan in the Serie A.“Leo’s at the point where he might be available, but we have to wait until after the training session [on Monday to decide],” coach Ernesto Valverde said in a news conference as reported by ESPN.“We have to see if he’s OK to play. In terms of his play and his movements, he’s fine, but we have to wait. Of course, it’s necessary to get him back as soon as possible — it’s always better if he’s there.”“There are three or four possibilities that we’re studying. One is that he plays from the start, another that he comes on … What we will not do is take any risks,” he added.last_img read more